Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nearer My God to Thee

On Sunday, November 13, Edenton Street UMC in downtown Raleigh celebrated their Bicentennial in a service of Festival Worship. My sense that we were going to have a mountain top morning began last summer when I thought about what music could be sung by the choir that might be appropriate for a congregation that has reached this milestone and is thriving in its ministries.
For the offertory anthem, I settled on John Rutter's setting of Psalm 150. Written for the Jubilee celebration of Queen Elizabeth in 2002, this magnificent setting of the great conclusion to the Psalms gave the Chancel Choir some hearty meat to digest in rehearsal and beyond. 

I also asked the choir to memorize their Introit, an excerpt from Rene Clausen's wonderful, "All that Hath Life and Breath." They cheerfully complied and were able to sing this choral CALL TO WORSHIP with great love and joy from the altar rail and chancel steps facing the overflowing congregation. If you're interested in other elements of this Festival worship you can check it out at the link below.

Does glorious music, four floral arrangements of 50 red roses each (200 total), all childrens' choirs entering in festive procession with the children's dance ensembles (more than 100 children and youth), all living former senior pastors with the Bishop and District Supterintendent processing in robes with festive red stoles . . . and I might add a perfect fall day in the high 60's . . . does all this make any difference to God? To those who were present? To me today in the afterglow? To you as you read this blog?  

Make God's Praise Glorious.  I chose this life verse a long time ago and it has become more and more the torch that I hold out when I (or others) wonder why I put so much of my heart, soul, mind and strength, into moments which on the surface seem to be fleeting. The Westminster catechism reminds me, "What is the chief end of man?"  "To glorify God and enjoy Him forever."  I guess I'm already on Fire and heaven is already peeking its way into my world along with all those who are part of this grand worship project. 

The writer of the epistle to Hebrews describes how Jesus foresaw this joy when he says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (Heb. 12:2)

There is joy in worship that comes after the arduous journey, Jesus being our example and rallying point. May all church musicians who are reading this post be refreshed and take new courage to sing with all their heart and strength toward the JOY that is at the right hand of the throne of God.

Rutter's Psalm 150 at the Queen's Golden Jubilee 

Videos of Worship at Edenton Street 

No comments:

Post a Comment