Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Knitted Snowflake

This Psalm-companion-poem was written for a friend when she was dying of cancer. It is equally appropriate for my mother. I miss her so much and she's only been gone a week . . . she too was like a beautiful, unique snowflake.
 
Snowflake

She fell softly to earth on the morning of her birth
Blessing all who came in contact with her glistening life
Inspiring awe over creation of such beauty
In one little wisp among so many
Faithfully shining out the imprint of the Creator
Until He repurposed her for heaven,
Melting tear-like
Then stealing silently upward.

                      Nancy Gerst, 2009


This passage from Psalm 139 was very precious to my Mom and I remember her quoting it to her grandkids when they were struggling, particularly through teenage years of doubt and confusion. She always held out the value of each individual as a unique, beautiful creation of God . . .

You Created My Inmost Being

O LORD, you have searched me
       and you know me.
 For you created my inmost being;
       you knit me together in my mother's womb.
  I praise you because I am fearfully
       and wonderfully made;
       your works are wonderful,
       I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
       when I was made in the secret place.
 When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
    your eyes saw my unformed body.

 All the days ordained for me
       were written in your book
       before one of them came to be.

                                      Psalm 139. selected verses, NIV


Below is a photo of my niece, Callie Begly, knitting a shawl for my birthday in November, made of alpaca and silk yarn. My Mom commissioned this artwork, her last gift to me. I will always treasure it because it symbolizes so much of her love, care, and wisdom.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment