Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

The Mockingbird Sings Bach


Photo by Alan And Elaine Wilson
Last week during an early morning practice session on my Petrof, I could have sworn that mockingbird singing in the tree out the window was practicing the Bach E-flat minor prelude with me. He’s got the chickadee, robin, cardinal and wren tunes all down real well. I guess he wanted to expand his repertoire.

When I paused in practice to listen to him, he kept going with what sounded to me like the opening theme of that Bach prelude. He tried some of the trills too.  

Later today I swept out the garage. When I took some trash around the side to the trash can, he smiled at me from his perch on the hedge. “Yes, M.B., I noticed you and I heard your fine song earlier.” Maybe I’ll start calling him J.S.

I admit it. I am a lover of birds. I love their songs, their interesting shapes and colors, their birdish ways. A lot of other people have this same passion . . .

St. Francis -  Most people have heard about this famous saint's friendship with animals and birds. Many have not heard this lovely piano piece by Franz Lizst, St. Francis Preaching to the Birds.

Here's an interesting new song by an emerging composer, Martin Sedek, Little Bird.

Eric Whitacre set Octavio Paz's poem Little Birds  for SATB choir and piano with a beautiful piano part (with it's running notes it pays homage to Gabriel Fauré). According to the composer it holds mysterious and magical effects, imitating delicate birds. It is a delightful piece with a lovely surprise ending.  

And lastly, the beloved Anglican preacher John Stott, was a great lover of birds. He was also a fine photographer. His book, The Birds Our Teachers: Biblical Lessons from a Lifelong Birdwatcher combines his outstanding  photographs of birds with insightful and interesting lessons learned from our fine feathered friends. Available at your local library or you can purchase a copy here new or used.


No comments:

Post a Comment