Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Gift of Words

One of the lovely things that happened while I served as Interim Music Director at Edenton Street in recent months, was making new friends during my time there. Interim work has several challenges, one of which is that you have to walk away when the job is over and leave space for the new leader to make their mark. It was a gift from God to me then, that a young lady in the choir made several gestures of friendship that have blossomed into a friendship that has extended beyond my official role and tenure. Her joyful presence has been a blessing to both my husband and me.

Five O'Clock Tea - Mary Cassat
A gift from her at the close of my interim work, a lovely set of windchimes, was accompanied by a thoughtful card with a Haiku she wrote for me. I was so touched by both the poem, and the fact that she'd taken note of the Haiku project I wrote in memory of Mom when she died the first of this year.

Here's Kat's original set of four Haiku poems to me:

Haiku for You

Lover of Birds
Look there, he's at the window.
Quick, play him a tune.
~ ~ ~
Contagious laughter!
Faith that inspires others
To believe in Him.
~ ~ ~
Indiana Girl
Finds beauty in every place
Her Beauty is real.
~ ~ ~
Blessing to us all --
Worship through music and word
Leaves her lasting mark.
                                                    Katherine Micks, April 2012

If you have followed my blog posts in recent months, you catch the sense in her poem that Kat took time to get to know me and obviously read many of my posts. That is a beautiful gift of friendship, taking time to listen to what the other person is saying. Absorbing what the other person has done, thinks about, feels. It's no surprise to me that Kat is so successful in her career as a Doulah. She has such a large and loving heart!

Can you imagine what it would be like to have no true friends? When I chat with my Dad over the phone, he often tells me about his weekly Tuesday morning coffee ritual at McDonald's with a group of friends. Usually a joke or two is involved, and always some story that makes him laugh as he retells it to me. I love to hear these "good vibe stories" that tell me he is not just a recent widower, but a widower with supportive friends.

Ring me up! (courtesy of Tom Adams)
Words between friends. Live. Phone chats. Hand written cards and notes. Email notes. Facebook wall posts. Txts! Familiar routines between friends. Thoughtful words, caring words, fun words, all kinds of bonding words. These gifts mostly don't cost anything but our time, yet they are priceless.

Words about friends -- that's what this post is, one to celebrate the joy of friendship and the words that surround it. For all the friends I've made over the years, and especially for those who still stay in touch even though miles or other barriers separate us, I can't help but say, Thanks be to God!


A word aptly spoken is like
Apples of gold in settings of silver.
                                                                      Proverbs 25:11

Therefore encourage one another 
and build each other up, 
just as in fact you are doing.
                                                        1 Thessalonians 5:11

He ate and drank the precious Words—
His Spirit grew robust—
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was Dust—
                                                                                                           Emily Dickinson


~ ~ ~


In his beloved poem, "She Walks in Beauty," Lord Byron eloquently describes his friend (wife?). One wonders how her gift of words to him have been fuel for the poem.  

Paul Mealor captures the essence of the poem in his setting, sung here by Tenebrae, with the composer directing.

Those who know Kat would say that last stanza describes her well. I share it here as a thank you to her for her gift of words and friendship.


SHE walks in beauty like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies,
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meets in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which Heaven to gaudy day denies. 

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress
Or softly lightens o'er her face,
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek and o'er that brow
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,--
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent. 
                                                           Lord Byron

2 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy,
    You are such a dear friend! Thank you for these words and for your friendship and for just adding beauty to my life .. I appreciate YOU!
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! A cardinal came by the front window this morning while I was playing Bach and I thought of your haiku, stanza one :)

      Delete