Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

A Good Name



 A good name is more 
desirable than great riches;
    to be esteemed is better 
    than silver or gold.    

                                                                        Proverbs 22:1

As I write this post, a memorial service for a beloved former pastor is taking place in Nashville Tennessee. It has been more than ten years since I saw Pastor Brian Kinney, yet hearing the news of his death, has touched me profoundly. I think this is so because of who he was, his reputation, and how he related to me when I served on staff with him at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Muncie, IN--he as Associate Pastor, and myself as their Music Director. 

Pastor Kinney was one of the most humble, kind, consistent, and generous pastors I have known. He always had time for a warm greeting at the beginning of the work day, always looked me in the eye when he talked with me, always shared a generous laugh, tear, or prayer as the need arose. I remember his exact words of advice on several occasions. His sage, wise words were ones I guarded carefully and heeded with God’s help.

One of the blessings of current technology is that you can be part of a community even though you are physically very far away. It was with wondering eyes that I read post after post on Facebook that expressed love and condolences to Pastor Kinney’s family this week.  And I was so struck by the reputation of a good name to which these tributes bore witness. Here are just a few brief excerpts from the many, many that people have posted on the family member’s and Brian’s Facebook walls:

He was a kind man and lovely man.

He was such a treasure and will be missed by so many.

Brian Kinney was one of the godliest men I have ever been able to know personally.

Looking forward to running and leaping and dancing in heaven with this humble, tender-hearted friend.

Praise God, for a life lived well!

He was a tremendous encouragement to me.

Sometimes you meet people and you instantly know that God's Grace is very strong in their life! Brian was one of those saints!

He sat at my bedside for hours holding my hand praying with me. He gave me comfort and hope. I will never forget that.

Brian, it was a pleasure and a joy to know you. You raised the finest of sons.

He wanted to live his life well for Christ. That he did, and every part of his life, as husband/father/churchman/editor/theologian counts for eternity.

Brian was the consummate Christian gentleman always willing to serve his Savior with joy and gladness.

A humble servant of Jesus.

A good name. By the grace of God, Rev. Brian Kinney had it in life and took it with him in death. This is the greatest legacy anyone can leave. A reputation for godly, joyful, truthful, faithful living that blesses far beyond the boundaries of one’s own inner circle of family and friends, place or time. 

A good name is better than fine perfume, 
and the day of death better than the day of birth.

                                            Ecclesiastes 7:1

~ ~ ~ ~ 

MUSIC and OTHER LINKS




In 1997 after I played a newly arranged setting of BEAUTIFUL SAVIOR for an offertory in morning worship, Pastor Kinney turned to me from the pulpit and said with tears in his eyes, “Will you play that for my funeral someday?” So touched, I nodded back with several tears of my own.  Pastor Kinney, I want you to know that I played that piece for you last Sunday, July 10 in a recital at 3 p.m., here in North Carolina, thinking of you and praying for you as I played it. That evening I heard that you had been taken to Alive Hospice, and early on Monday I was stunned to read that you passed away. 

This afternoon on the day of your memorial service, I am keeping my promise. For your dear wife, son, daughter, and daughter-in-law, other family, and friends, I offer this song again in a medium they can listen to if they like. You may or may not hear this piece or read this little post, but that doesn’t matter, because you are seeing and singing the true Beautiful Savior in His house forever. I’ll join you someday and play that piece for you in a glorified version.



No comments:

Post a Comment