Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Artists, Friends, and Lovers

What makes one an artist? Having a studio where one regularly paints or writes poetry? A burgeoning portfolio or repertoire? Income from live performances or artwork sold? A certain inclination of mind and heart? One artist said:
There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.
                                                           Van Gogh
Friends for Life - Rachel and Lizzie





That quote reminded me of this photo of my daughter Rachel and her good friend Lizzie, taken 20+ years ago. They are still friends though several states away from each other. And they are both talented artists.


Here's a scene Rachel painted her sophomore year of high school, a street scene for a school play, Little Princess. She also played the role of Miss Minchin, the mean headmistress of the girl's school. I remember sitting in the audience experiencing that wonderful feeling all parents know when their child has explored their talents and put them convincingly on display for all to see. Several friendships that were strengthened in the production of that play still remain with my daughter today.

A couple more interesting quotes ...
Alter ipse amicus - A friend is another self
Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.      Sicilian Proverb

Be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit      (unknown)

Who being loved is poor?       Oscar Wilde

My friend Lois with Me (in the red coat)
I love this photo with my friend Lois. I'm wearing a Christmas tree pin she gave me for Christmas one year. It's a treasured piece in my jewelry box because it came from such a dear friend. Every season that I get it out, it gives me such a feeling of joy. It helps me feel close to this dear friend, even though we live 700 miles apart.



Smiles ... that's a clear sign of friendship and love and artistry of spirit in all these photos. The one on my hubby's face here (from our wedding day) say's it all.

I'm thankful for friendships that have lasted years and remain strong across the miles. I am indeed, so richly, richly blessed!

For those who are displaced, friendless, and feeling abandoned today we pray:
Lord Jesus, be near to those who are weary in their need of basic necessities of life, including friendship. Show us how to be a friend to the friendless. Help us as we do our part to bring justice and peace to broken places and broken lives; through your faithful Love and generous Spirit. Amen.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

MUSIC LINKS

You've Got a Friend - Carole King sings with a younger generation of new friends; Celine Dion, Gloria Estefan, Shania Twain.

Here's the same piece sung by James Taylor and Carole KIng in 2010, with notes regarding their debut of the piece in 1970. James Taylor went through some really tough years between 1970 and 2010. I wonder how his friends were a part of his recovery?

Here's is the text, written by Ms. King:

When you're down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
And you know whereever I am
I'll come running, oh yeah baby
To see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
You've got a friend.

If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
And soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend?
People can be so cold.
They'll hurt you and desert you.
Well they'll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but don't you let them.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Oh babe, dont you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all you've got to do is call.
Lord, I'll be there, yes I will.
You've got a friend.
You've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
You've got a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment