Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Giving Up Cabbage and More



Every spring as the first daffodils and crocuses peek from beneath the blanket of winter, another awakening comes along side to remind us of the beauty of our world, of life, and of grace. It is the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ that I am speaking of. Yet the prelude to that celebration begins with somber reflection, and continues with peeks, whispers, and steady focus toward Holy Week and the greatest Story Ever Told.

The season called LENT begins in the lives of many Christians with ashes, imposed on the forehead on Ash Wednesday. These ashes signal that a time of concentrated reflection on what Jesus Christ did in his earthly journey is beginning. We start with ashes to remind ourselves that it was for us, because we needed a Savior, that he came. 

When I first took a position in a church that observed the church year calendar, I was quite fascinated by the concept of Lent and all its disciplines. As you've probably heard, it's a common practice to "give up" something for Lent. The intention is to grow in self-discipline and allow more time, energy, resources for spiritual disciplines

Being on staff, a seasoned church musician, yet a newbie to Lent, I wanted to make sure I gave up something that was part of my normal daily life, and not something little like giving up cabbage or swearing (I can go months without cabbage, and I don't use swear words--after all, I work in a church!). 

After thinking about it for several weeks, I decided to give up television. This was at a time I lived alone, and after a long day at work, enjoyed the 10 p.m. news and a  program or two to wind down. Yet that experience was so beneficial; a time I remember fondly

Here's an anecdote from that first Lenten experience:

A young piano student, Lilly, asked me that first week of Lent what I was giving up for Lent. "Television" I answered. Her eyes grew wide, she shook her head and said, "I could never do that. I'm giving up chocolate." At nine years old, I admired that she'd even thought it through.

Several years later at a lesson Lilly said to me, again at the beginning of Lent, "Remember Ms. Nancy when you gave up TV for Lent?"

"Yes, I do Lilly. My TV is still in the bedroom closet."

"Get outta here! [running to the door, opening it, to where her mom was sitting in the hallway...] Mom! Remember when Ms. Nancy gave up TV for Lent two years ago? She is still giving it up!"

I wonder if Lilly remembers those conversations ...

Giving up TV during Lent was probably the biggest and most life-changing thing I've done for Lent. It also confirmed the beauty of the "replacement principle." Pastor Stortz at my church in Muncie introduced the congregation to that principle---when you repent or turn from something bad, you need to replace the void with something good. For me that was reading good books, listening to great music, going for a late evening walk, or writing letters to family or friends. I fondly recall that spring ... it really was an exercise of faith and growing in spiritual disciplines and has had lasting benefits.
  
p.s.  When I got married, the television came out of the closet. You can't marry a UT grad and Longhorn football fan and have a happy marriage with the TV in a closet. But other than football, we only have one program we regularly watch and it only runs seven weeks a year ... Downton Abbey. Yes, I'm hooked. Maybe I'll give that up for Lent in 2014.
 
~ ~ ~ 

MUSIC LINKS

Here's a new music video from my studio that's especially appropriate for Lent:

Video features OCEAN photography by Katherine Micks
By the Babylonian Waters - A Meditation for Somber Days 




No comments:

Post a Comment