Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Tada!

In the children's sermon this morning, the pastor asked the children what they thought Jesus might have said when he rose from the dead and came out of the tomb. "Good morning" to the soldiers? "Tada!" like the Jack-in-the-box she had in her hands to surprise the kids?

That made me wonder about my response every time the resurrected Christ brings life to my deadness . . . my dead thoughts, words or deeds, that lie like crusty, wind-blown leaves across the front yard of my life. What an amazing thing that our Lord's resurrection permeates every aspect of our lives, giving us hope in adversity, peace in all circumstances, and joy that defies description. The resurrection of Jesus Christ is truly the most remarkable event in the history of the world.

From my morning devotional guide ...

"As Jesus rises from the dead, our hopelessness, fatalism, and despair all drop away. We leave in the wake of Christ's rising all that weighs us down: our self-absorption, insolence, and indignation. The higher we rise with Jesus, the smaller every enslaving thing becomes. What once seemed impossible is now altogether likely."

                                                                    Magnificat, April 2011, page 260

At the end of the children's message the pastor encouraged the kids to remember the resurrection every morning first thing and thank the Lord for his gift of life. Maybe even jump out of bed saying, "Tada! It's brand new day!" Now that would be a change for me in the morning. My husband could tell you I'm not a "Tada!" person first thing in the morning.

But maybe it's time to turn over a new leaf ...

Christos Aneste. 
Alethos Aneste. 
Christ is risen. 
He is risen indeed!


Painting on a reverse panel of Grünewald’s Isenheim altarpiece


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Music for Resurrection/Easter Sunday:

Hallelujah! from Christ on the Mount of Olives - Beethoven 

This Joyful Eastertide

Vaughan Williams "Five Mystival Songs" (part 1):
"Easter"
"I got me flowers"
Vaughan Williams "Five Mystical Songs" (part 2):
"Love bade me welcome"
"The Call"
"Antiphon"

The Easter Oratorio - J.S. Bach

Lark Ascending - Ralph Vaughan Williams

I'd love to hear what some of your favorites are for this Festival day.



No comments:

Post a Comment