Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Life Well-Lived, Part T, U, and V



Continuing my reflections through the alphabet in memory of my Dad. It’s been more than a week since my last post in this series. With just two essays left, I’ve been dragging my pen a bit, perhaps because finishing this project brings another connection to my Dad to a close. We don’t always embrace endings so well, do we? Perhaps that is one of the benefits and lessons of this alphabet memory project--to give me a vehicle for letting go in a thoughtful, incremental way. I do think it would please my Dad to know his memory is honored via the completed project. And so I lift my pen and begin this penultimate essay.


[You can follow the entire series beginning here.]



T – THANKFUL. How comforting it was to hear Dad say numerous times in his final weeks that he had lived such a rich, full life, that God had blessed him so much. My parents made it a point to be thankful in tangible, meaningful ways. Just today, as I was unpacking the last boxes from our move I came across several more letters from Mom. In her usual way, she writes for both of them and says, “Thank you” for several things. Besides being thankful to family and other people, my parents directed thanks to the Source of all blessings. They did this by living a life of reverent joy, serving others, and giving back from their bounty. Mom often said, “You can’t out give God!” and Dad would just smile, as he knew that to be so true. 


Thank you, Lord, that my Dad set an example of being truly thankful by what he said and did. Help me to carry on in his footsteps and live every day with a thankful heart.

Celebrating Dad's 70th Birthday in Florida.


U – UNIQUE. Blind conformity was not something you’d associate with my Dad. Neither was rebellion. Rather, he was just unique, accepting of who he was, not afraid to be different or to be himself, never one to follow the crowd. I thought of this on July 4th when we were at a nearby fireworks in the park. It started to rain, and my husband commented how folks were like lemmings. A few people immediately got up and left and soon the majority if not most were heading for their cars. We waited a few minutes, and sure enough, the rain let up and it was only a sprinkle here and there for the rest of the show. 


Part of that ability to celebrate uniqueness was rooted in Dad’s concept of character and truth. Years of sitting behind the wheel of a semi while driving hundreds of miles down long highways gave him ample time to think things through. That by-product of his career, the penchant to mull things over, paved the way for him to remain true to his convictions, a unique voice sometimes in a sea of conformity. 


Thank you, Lord, that Dad displayed courage in being the unique person you created him to be. Thank you that this legacy is seen today in his children and grandchildren. May each one couple their embrace of their uniqueness with the harness of truth and godliness.


V – VIRTUOUS. Virtuous  is defined as being pure; having high moral values. To be virtuous is to have a very good character. How glad I am that my Dad is not remembered as a scoundrel, derelict, buffoon, traitor, drunkard, or any other of a number of disparaging nouns. High moral values girded all his dealings, public and private. This has sent ripples down through the succeeding generations, whether through an embrace of the same values, or a pricked conscience where those moral values have been disregarded on occasion. It takes discipline, energy, thoughtfulness, perseverance, and desire to live a virtuous life. I know my Dad was not perfectly virtuous, but the over-arching, normal trajectory of his thought and actions was one of virtue. Can there be any greater legacy or inheritance than this from one’s parent?


Thank you, Lord, that Dad lived a virtuous life, one worth imitating, one that benefited and served others, and one that brings honor to the Christian faith and to the God he professed to know and love. 


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


MUSIC LINKS


Simple Gifts -  Yo-Yo Ma and Alison Krause


The Lamb – John Taverner



The Promise of Living - from The Tender Land set to beautiful farmland photography.

The final post in this series can be read here.


No comments:

Post a Comment