Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Declines, Inclines, and Happiness

What does this report from the Barna Group mean? 
Global Poverty is on the Decline
But Almost No One Believes It
Do more people care now? Less people care? Are there more resources to go around? Less resources?

Has the little bit that our household shares made a small dent? One or two lives are a small dent in millions, but to those one or two who are fed, clothed, etc. it means the world.


Today we got a hand-written letter from a 12 year old boy we've just started sponsoring in Kenya. His words will haunt me tonight:  "I ask you to pray for my country because some terrorists have come to our country so that they can take away our lives. And our country likes peace but not fighting. I would like you to pray for me so that I can succeed with my daily duties i.e. school, health and unity in family." How many kids in our neighborhoods have prayer requests like that?

When my husband Larry recently told me he'd signed up to sponsor another child through our charity of choice (Compassion International) he said, "It just seemed like the right thing thing to do." 


Good Samaritan by REMEMBRANDT
I don't share this to boast, but to encourage all who are reading this post (and go on to read this report from Barna) to greatly thank God for the resources they have had to share with others. Blessed to be a blessing, eh? Looking at friends posts in social media through the summer has been encouraging to my heart! How many people I know who are serving others in many different ways.

Jesus said, "I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." 
from Matthew 25


I've always associated that Matthew passage with a friend from Muncie, Samara Newnam. I remember her reading this so passionately one time as she shared about one of her many adventures at home and abroad; an energetic lady who has been a blessing to so many as she's served and led teams of servants. I haven't seen her for years, but her example still inspires me.

It is a sad thing to know a 12 year old boy that I now know goes to sleep with thoughts of terrorists lurking in his neighborhood clouding his young mind. But his letter included these words of hope:  "I am Happy and I hope that you will communicate with me. I think that you are also happy."

I am happy. Happy for many reasons, one of which is that as I write this, my family's needs are met, abundantly so, and that others have taught me the corollary to the Golden Rule. I have experienced it on my own, it really is true:  "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (see Acts 20:35)   [Here is an interesting commentary on this saying from Jesus, Did Jesus say that?]

Providing for the physical needs of a child in a country far from mine won't stop the politcal intrigues or terrorist assaults in that country. But it will give a small bit of light and hope to one child. May the Lord bless all our offerings of small loaves and fishes. Who knows what He will do with it?

So, I need to get down to the business of fulfilling one small dream and write a letter to a young boy across the pond...


~~~MUSIC LINKS~~~

decline
 
Exile - Alan Hovahness, movements 1 & 2
discussion of this work here

incline
Love Bade Me Welcome - Ralph Vaughn Williams

happiness
More Blessed to Give - Point of Grace 


Here's an article from this week regarding the terror attacks in Kenya.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment