Pages

Monday, July 7, 2014

Stretch Out Your Hand


Do you like stories of intrigue, with endings that mix triumph and sorrow? 
Those who find the music of Arvo Pärt deeply meaningful will want to watch this video which tells that kind of story.
The video story was inspired by a sermon from the Gospel of Mark given by Pastor Boyce Wilson at Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, in Rock Hill South Carolina, in March of this year. As the apostle Paul said, one plants the seed, someone else waters, but God gives the growth (I Cor. 3:6).
We are all links in a chain aren't we? Pärt wrote the score, Möhler Pipe Organ Builders built the instrument, many people at this church sacrificed to pay for the instrument, the pastor inspired my choice of this work and the pairing of it with the scene from Mark's gospel. What remains for you to have a part in this chain?
I love it when men and women, great and small, collaborate in the grand march of bringing the message of love, hope, and grace to people all over the world. It's a marvelous thing!
In this work, titled "Trivium," Pärt's sparse compositional style in Movement I suggests intrigue, treachery. The leaping, resonant chords in Movement II captures the commanding authority of Jesus in the face of opposition and unbelief. I hear his confident "Stretch out! Stretch out your hand!" in the notes. Do you hear the resounding invitation too?
I hope you will take five minutes to listen to this video and reflect on and celebrate the many high and holy ideals it represents.
Trivium I and I




No comments:

Post a Comment