Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Promises

The chair-of-today which seats me,
Body and soul,
Is a cushion of promises,
Background pledges
That make this day possible and
Watch over me with
All the stability of a mountain pass,
All the reliability of a golden sunrise,
All the bets of heaven laid on
A Carpenter from a dusty village 
   in Galilee.

The gentle breeze 
Teasing in my window promises
That with life’s changes
A Mysterious Force will be
Propelling them on a mission,
My part will be to ride the wind.


The cicadas and tree frogs singing in the trees promise
That a song will accompany my days,
One written in Notes of Gold,
My part will be to tilt the ear of my heart to the song
Lest I miss the humming and buzzing and miss my cue
To sing along.

The blue sky stretching farther than my eyes can see
Or mind comprehend promises
That there will be more to life than I can
Ascertain on my own,
But that the Heavenly Blue One
Knows its heights and depths and
Will grace me with what I need
To know and enjoy that the sky is true and real and beautiful.

The blood pulsing through my veins promises
That the Energy that powers the universe
Fuels me too and perfectly runs the
Labyrinth of systems within and without 
That I give little thought to
On ordinary days.

The light in my husband’s eyes
As he comes in the door at the end of a
Busy work day promises
That I matter to him and that
The Singer of Love Songs* who brought us together
Will sustain our love through years of
Having and holding,
Feeling  yucky or on top of the world,
Counting our pennies or stacking our gold,
And ending each of our gift of together days,
As husband and wife enjoying life.

They are there, little itty bitty promises
Like the promise that the Cardinals in the trees
Will give birth to babies in the spring.

And medium promises, like the fact that
If you put a chicken in the oven
At 350 degrees, after an hour, it will be tasty.

And big promises, like the one that says
Those who believe the Promise Giver
Will go to heaven when they die
Where all the promises that are yet to be fulfilled
Are waiting, shining in glory for the delight
Of those who wait for promises,
And live each day as promise-believers
In a world where the Promise-Keeper
Has yet to break, forget, renege,
Fudge on, alter, or destroy
Even one little promise in
The universe of the bazillion promises
He has made.

*Zechariah 3:17 
He will rejoice over you with singing, 
he will quiet you with his love.

 "The flowers appear on the earth, the time of singing has come, 
and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land.
Song of Solomon 2:12

No comments:

Post a Comment