Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

Exclamation Mark at Bedtime

Bedtime is always an occasion for me to learn things afresh through the mind of a little one when the grandchildren visit. Daisy brought this little book to me to read to her when tucking her in during a visit last spring. 

As I read one of the prayers she interrupted me with a loud request, 

"I want to see God!"

I paused, thinking of the enormity of her request. As I proceeded with a response, she interrupted again, 

"No, I want to see the WORD God!"

Ah, on the page. A five-year-old learning to read. I pointed it out and she spelled . . . G-O-D. God. Then she had to find all of the instances of this word in the book. Perhaps it was a combination learning-stall tactic, but we indulged and exclaimed over each discovery. 

As she drifted to sleep later, several things simmered in my heart. I prayed she continues to look for God and find him through the living Word, the Lord Jesus. I prayed that I will too always do the same! I also want to long with all my heart to see God with an exclamation point, not just half-hearted, or as a distraction to duty, or once in a while.

May you too, dear friend, have the simple prayers of a five-year-old in your heart today:


"I want to see God!"
and
"I want to see the WORD God!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
MUSIC LINKS

And the Glory of the Lord - from Handel's "Messiah"

Lord, When Your Glory I Shall See - exquisite TTBB setting of this hymn, sung here by the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary Chorus.

Here's a provacative question via a lovely song to consider over the Christmas holidays ...

Where's the Line to See Jesus? with singer Becky Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment